Handgun License Requirements
Applications are accepted Wednesdays only 8 AM to 3 PM only Cleveland County Detention Center
2550 West Franklin Road, Norman, OK 73069
No appointments Walk-ins only
- Complete a handgun license application online at OSBI’s website. Then print the summary sheet, and bring it with you to the Detention Center. OSBI will only accept credit card payments, if you apply online. If you don’t apply online, fill out the four page Paper Application. Use blue or black ink only. Applications may be picked up at the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office at 128 South Peters Ave, Norman, OK 73069.
- Bring you original handgun class safety certificate. Copies aren’t accepted. OSBI will only accept a Certified Gun Safety Instructor certificate.
- If you didn’t scan your photo into your online application, bring 2 passport-size photos with you. They can be purchased at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Kinko's FedEx Office, photography studios, etc. The photos must be professionally made.
- We will provide two fingerprint cards and a background check form to fill out. Use black ink only, when filling out the fingerprint cards.
- Bring a $25.oo money order or cashier's check made out to CCSO. No cash, personal checks, credit cards or debit cards.
- If you didn't pay online, bring a money order or cashier's check made out to OSBI. No cash, personal checks, credit cards or debit cards.
- $100 for a 5 year license
- $200 for a 10 year license
- OSBI requires the Sheriff'f Office staff to fingerprint you and maintain possession of the fingerprint cards. If you're applying for a handgun license, don't have your fingerprints taken anywhere else.
- Bring your photo ID (Driver's License, State Issued ID Card, Military ID, or etc.)
- If you weren't born in the United States, bring proof of United States Citizenship (Passport, Naturalization Papers, Birth Certificate stating you're a US Citizen, etc.)
- Military Members, bring a copy of your current orders. If you've been discharged, bring a copy of your DD-214.
- Bring all paperwork, photos, fees and your ID with you when applying.
Please call our Self Defense Act office at 405-701-8673